Optional: 1 ~ 2 inch cinnamon stick, 2 whole cloves, and 1 allspice berry
Jar: 1 Liter Jar
Ferment: 5~7 days
- In large mixing bowl, weigh grated beets and optional spices and mix in 5-6 grams of Himalayan Pink Salt for each pound of beets (approximately 2 lbs).
- Pack mixture firmly to the shoulder of the Jar.
- Wait an hour to evaluate brine level.
- Add 2% brine to cover beets (if necessary).
- Place Brine (Submersion) Bowl, fill & insert the Airlock, lock the Jar & cover.
- Leave at room temperature (68-72ºF) 5-7 days, a little shorter if a little warmer.
- Move to the refrigerator, and it’s ready to use.
The Probiotic Jar is the only way to ferment raw beets. Beets really like to mold, and without an anaerobic environment to control those unwanted microbes, they will go moldy every time. Most "fermented" beets are cooked first, and then a culture added to get them going. These steps are not only unnecessary in The Probiotic Jar, they are not desired. The resulting beet ferment would not have the fresh, bright taste, nor the texture of fresh beets fermented in The Probiotic Jar.
We just love raw fermented beets on our garden salads. They provide amazing flavor and zip. I love to keep these in my fridge all year!