Turmeric (also correctly known as tumeric) root is a very powerful anti-inflammatory, and has many other health benefits. The very best results are achieved when drinking a bit of the brine, and chewing a bit of the root, along with a spoonful of organic oil and a dash of pepper on a daily basis. Read the full story below the directions.
Ingredients: Fresh Turmeric Root
Jar: 2 Liter Probiotic Jar
Brine: 2% Brine
Ferment: 5-7 Days
1. Scrub the root with a vegetable brush to clean. Cut off anything funky (mushy, slimy, or noticeably soft) Healthy fresh root should be firm, but it doesn't matter if it's a bit rubbery. Trim away the previously cut open areas, as this is where mold will develop first.
2. Split the root open along the length of the root to expose the inner flesh to the Brine. See the photo to the left. It's not important that it's exactly right; it is also fine to slice or grate it.
3. Fill the Jar you have selected (any size is fine) just over half full of loosely packed root.
5. Place Brine Bowl, fill & insert the Airlock, lock the Jar & cover.
6. Leave at 68-72ºF for 5-7 days, until the bubbling starts to slow.
7. Move to the refrigerator, and enjoy!
I have been delighted by how much less expensive it is to use Turmeric root in this way, with enhanced bio-availability and effectiveness. I had previously tried high-quality capsules or cur-cumin, and lots of them, for injury-related inflammation and pain with no noticeable results.
The last time I pulled something in my back and was down with an ice pack, I remembered this hiding away in the back of my refrigerator and decided to give it a try. I could tell the difference within hours (not days) and can really see that fermenting the turmeric makes everything it is known for even that much more potent and bio-available. It's good to know that we have an alternative to the gut-wrecking ibuprofen, Plus, the benefits are endless. Anti-inflammation is not the only benefit: Turmeric root is also highly anti-oxidant, has compounds that promote brain function and health, helps prevent cancer, helps treat arthritis, depression, and age-related chronic issues, just for the highlights. Read the full article here.
Turmeric root is also bright orange and will stain teeth. The best way to prevent/correct this is to polish them with a little bit of dietary activated charcoal on a wet toothbrush, which takes it right off without harming the teeth.
After the brine is consumed, the root could be juiced in a masticating juicer, dehydrated, and loaded into capsules or added to a spoonful of applesauce. This is my approach after having a few batches rotating so I can use the capsules and brine at the same time.
Written by Karen Ross