Granola ~ Raw, Lacto-Fermented, Dehydrated & Gluten Free
Jar: 2 Liter Jar
Ferment: 2-3 Days
Dehydrate: 48-72 Hours
5 1/2 cups raw or cooked organic rolled oats
1 1/3 cups unsweetened organic coconut flakes or shreds
1 1/3 cups organic dried fruit mixture (dates, raisins, any mix will do)
1 1/3 cups pecans (or slivered almonds or other nuts or seeds you love)
2 tea. Himalayan Pink Salt or sea salt
1 1/3 cup warm water (room temperature)
1 2/3 cup whole-fat grass-fed raw-milk yogurt (or kefir or cultured buttermilk)
1 1/2 tea. cinnamon
1/2 tea. nutmeg or cardamom
1/3 cup local raw honey (or buy at www.alaskawildhoney.com)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup coconut oil
- In a non-metallic bowl, mix the oats, nuts or seeds, coconut, fruit, salt, yogurt (or other dairy) and water.
- Mix well.
- Move to a Probiotic Jar, getting out as many air pockets as possible. Lock the lid, twist the Airlock into place with water, and move to a 68-72ºF spot in the dark. Ferment for 2-3 days. The longer it ferments the more sour it will taste, and the more pre-digested it will be when finished.
- After 2-3 days, warm the coconut oil and butter just enough to melt (in a bowl over warm water on the stove top).
- Add the honey and spices to the liquid, and mix well.
- Spoon the oat mixture into a non-metallic mixing bowl, and add the liquid mixture, and mix well. (A polish dough hook works very well).
- If desired, sweeten to taste with Rapadura or Sucanat, or additional honey.
- Spoon cookie-sized chunks onto parchment paper or dehydrator sheets, and dehydrate at 115ºF (or 46ºC) overnight, then break apart into bite-size chunks and dehydrate for another 24 hours or so until desired crunchiness and dryness is achieved.
- After dehydrating, allow to cool before moving to a storage jar.
Stores well in sealed jar (Fido Jars work great!) in pantry for a month or more.
Some people may have a very hard time digesting raw grain, and the fermentation process will do a great amount of pre-digesting of the oats.