Carrots sliced lengthwise into quarters, trimmed to length desired
A sprig of fresh chocolate mint (or sprig of dill or small slice of ginger [powerful and goes a long way])
Jar: 1.5 Liter Jar (Or double the recipe in a 3 Liter Jar)
Ferment: 7-9 days
- Layer any herbs under carrots in the Jar, packing snugly up to the shoulder
(approximately 2 lbs. carrots)
- Add 2% brine to just cover the carrots.
- Place Brine (Submersion) Bowl, fill & insert the Airlock, lock the Jar & cover.
- Leave at room temperature (68-72ºF) for 7-9 days.
- Move to the refrigerator and taste right away; a few more weeks in the refrigerator might be required to get a good "sour" all the way through.
We try to keep carrot sticks in the refrigerator for the kids, all the time. A healthy snack that curbs an appetite for sugar is always welcome at our house!