Ingredients: Cored and finely sliced cabbage (food processor or mandolin on narrowest slicing setting)
Optional: ¼ tsp. whole caraway seed/pound cabbage
Jar: Recommend 2 to 5 liter Jar
Brine: Self-brining Ferment: 8-10 days active, 2-3 months total
- In large mixing bowl, weigh sliced cabbage and mix in 5-6 grams of Himalayan Pink Salt for each pound of cabbage (approximately 2 lbs. cabbage per liter).
- Pack cabbage firmly to the shoulder of the Jar, pressing firmly to release liquid.
- Wait an hour to evaluate brine level.
- Add 2% brine to cover cabbage (if necessary).
- Place Brine (Submersion) Bowl, fill & insert the Airlock, lock the Jar & cover.
- Leave at 70ºF for 8-10 days, a little shorter if a little warmer.
- Move to cool storage (60ºF or cooler) for 6 weeks minimum, or to the refrigerator for 11 weeks, then it’s ready to use.