Beet Kvass ~ Orange Spiced
1. To the Jar, add all ingredients except the beets.
2. Prepare the beets by cutting off the tops and root tip, and scrubbing with vegetable brush to remove all traces of dirt. If beets have been in storage for some time, it is perfectly fine to peel them, but it isn't necessary.
3. Cut beets into cubes that are between about 1" at the thickest part, or 1 1/2" at the thickest part. Beets that are cut too small ferment too quickly, and whole beets that are too large ferment too slowly.
4. Add beets to the Jar, which should fill the Jar at least half way.
5. Add the brine to fill the Jar, to just below the neck.
6. Place Brine (Submersion) Bowl, fill & insert the Airlock, lock the Jar & cover.
7. Leave at 72º-78ºF for 7-9 days.
8. Move to the refrigerator and when ready to use, pour the kvass off of the beets into a 2 Liter Jar for use and storage.
Notes: You can adjust the size of the Jar if necessary; the ratio of the beets to brine is most important, and the amount of spices are less important. When the ferment is finished, if you used red beets, the kvass will have a deep red color.
1/15/2016 11:48:09 pm
Please tell me what happens with the beets?
7/16/2022 07:44:54 am
Appreciate you blogging thhis
10/31/2022 11:39:18 am
is it okay to let this ferment go for 30 days or longer than the 7-9 days.
Leave a Reply.
Here you will find the most delicious, health-boosting concoctions on planet earth! You are sure to experience both a delightful sensation on your taste buds as well as a happy tummy!
Beets, (Grated) with Clove, Cinnamon & Allspice
Carrots (Grated) with Chocolate Mint
Carrots & Beets with Rosemary & Thyme
Carrot Sticks (Herbed or Plain)
Carrot (Grated) with Chocolate
Carrots, Leeks, Ginger & Dill
Dill Pickles (Traditional)
Garden Medley Kvass
Ginger, Shaved & Pickled
Ginger, Beet & Kale Kvass
Ginger Bug (Starter)
Salsa ~ Chunky Tomato
Tonic ~ Cold, Sinus & Flu
The success of every recipe shared on this site is dependent on the proper application of anaerobic pickling techniques. These recipes are designed specifically to work in The Probiotic Jar. Please follow the instructions in the Quick Start Guide when creating these recipes.